First Kiln opening of the Year



At the beginning of March we loaded, fired, and opened the first kiln of the year. Our kiln Gertrude was as reliable as ever. This was a soda firing, so near the end of the firing we injected a soda solution into the kiln through its four charge ports. 

Our top and bottom cone packs positioned as we would see them through the spy ports.

Firing went well, but there was one hiccup. We had two cone packs in the kiln: one on the top and one on the bottom. Halfway through the firing the brick inside the bottom spy port broke, leaving half behind to block our view of the lower cone pack. We considered trying to remove the stuck piece, but decided it was too risky. We couldn’t check our progress with that cone pack for the rest of the firing. Happily once we opened the kiln up we were able to see from both cones pack that we had achieved the temperatures we wanted on both the top and bottom of the kiln.



I was so excited about opening the kiln up after it had cooled off, I forgot to get take some photos before we unloaded! But here are a few of my favorites. 

There were lots of experiments and tests in this kiln that gave me good information. I need to find some good glazes to best show off some of the new techniques I’m interested in pursuing. The next kiln will likely be full of glaze tests. For now I’m off to work on filling the next kiln…

Cake Stands: glaze fired


I realized that I never got around to posting pictures of the finished cake stands I made back at the beginning of the year. I’m really pleased with how they came out in the end, especially since they didn’t slump at all. 

blue and yellow cake stand

My first cake stand.

The second cake stand was in the same firing.  

Here is a look at it up close. I’m not unhappy with my these results. I’ll be making more. 

Kiln happenings


Look for what’s going into and coming out of the kiln in this space. I will occasionally post some of my thoughts on pottery, craft shows I’m attending, answer questions, or vent here, too. – Holly

Slip trailing through a snow storm


I have been itching to get back in the studio, but it’s closed for the holidays and doesn’t open again until next week. So, what’s a potter to do when stuck at home with the bitter cold outside? Find another way to play, of course.

three slip trailed bowls

slip cast and slip trailed

Continue reading

Cake Stands

marble cake stand

     Basic Cake Stand – an easy tumble

My latest project is making a cake stand. Once I had the idea of making a cake stand in my head, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. When I was in stores I found myself looking at cake stands; but instead of inspired, I felt disappointed. They were not Continue reading

Better Late Than Never


I had wonderful experiences last weekend at two different craft events: the Fire Works Studio‘s Holiday sale  and the Good Friends’ Craft Sale. Enough people asked after my card and website (and expressed surprise that I had neither) that I started considering both more seriously.  Almost exactly a year ago my friend Lorraine chewed me out a bit saying I really needed to get online. It has finally sunk in that it might be time for me to put myself out there more than I have been.

While the basic layout for the site is done, the gallery is not. It is probably the most important feature I need to tackle. Lucky for me, tomorrow looks to be a snowy day – a perfect time to hunker down and get some pieces in my gallery.

Wish me luck.  – Holly